Monday, November 1, 2010

Fever - Can I breastfeed?

It all started with a sorethroat 2 days ago and I though that it was because my body was too heaty. Took Gui Lingao and some herbal cooling tea but the sorethroat was still there till last evening when I started to feel a little nauseous and had a throbbing headache.

No wonder all the good food seemed to taste yucky, I was developing a fever!

Doctor confirmed that I had a high fever, similar to my hubby's. I thought that I would not be infected so easily and so, I drank water from the same tumbler he was using when he had fever and kissed him as usual at night before bed and in the morning when I woke up (a promise made to each other - at least a kiss in the morning before work and night before bed no matter what *smile*).

Doctor said that it was best to continue breastfeeding and he prescribed medicine which were safe for breastfeeding mothers. However, he was also afraid that it might cause the germs to be passed on to my son.

So, the decision was mine.

While I was expecting my son, I had already started my research on breastfeeding. Many advised to continue feeding despite having minor illness - fever, flu, cough, etc.. Here are some:

The best thing you can do for your baby when you're sick is to continue to breastfeed. When you have a contagious illness such as a cold, flu, or other mild virus, your baby was exposed to the illness before you even knew you were sick. Your milk will not transmit your illness to baby, but it does have antibodies in it that are specific to your illness (plus anything else you or baby have been exposed to) - they'll help prevent baby from getting sick, or if he does get sick, he'll probably not be as sick as you.

Withholding your breastmilk during an illness increases the possibility that baby will get sick, and deprives baby of the comfort and superior nutrition of nursing.

- www.kellymom.com -

Continuing to breastfeed will help protect your baby from the infection, because your body produces antibodies to the specific bug that is causing the infection, and you pass them on to the baby in your milk. Often, a breastfed baby will be the only member of the family who doesn't get sick. If he does get sick, he will usually have a much milder case than the older members of the family.

- http://www.familyresource.com/ -

Today, I am feeling better already and I have been feeding my son, so, let's see if he does get sick..which I hope not, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment