Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Little Jen Diarrhoea for 3 days

Poor Little Jen.. He cried so loudly on Friday night all out of a sudden when he was nursing in the car. We were travelling from KL to Melaka and it was already about 10pm. I could usually calm him down with just some soothing pats or songs but this time, he cried so loudly and seemed to be in pain. Hubby asked if he was crying cause his diaper was soaked.

Oh ya, then I recalled. His butt was reddish earlier in the evening and just minutes ago, he sounded like he pooped. He was having nappy rash and the poop made his butt really sore. I immediately took out his diaper and he calmed down a little but was still crying. Wiped and just as I was about to put on a new diaper for him, he started crying out loud again. Since it was near home already, I did not proceed with his diaper.

Once we reached home, I found that his butt was much redder than before. Applied a nappy rash cream for him and put on a fresh cloth nappy for him. He did not make any noise this time when I put on the cloth nappy for him except when I was applying the nappy rash cream on his butt and in between his thigh and groin. Obviously cloth nappy was much more comfortable since it was softer than a diaper.

The next few days, I noticed he had diarrhoea. Well, I couldn's have noticed earlier since I was not taking care of him during the day as I worked. Tried to nurse him more to soothe his pain a little although my supply had been really low since I had started to wean him off completely 2-3 months ago. I wanted to nurse him since breastmilk is the best - it provides him with antibody and is definitely gentle on his tummy.

We fed him with solid food only as much as he wanted to take. Water was given every now and then since he had lost quite alot of fluid. His poop was liquid, dark green in colour and he pooped about 4-5 times a day instead of his normal 2-3 times. All the while, he worn cloth nappy.

Unless his diarrhoea was gone, there was no way he could avoid nappy rash as his nappy was wet almost all the time due to his diarrhoea and pee. By Day 3, his butt was looking better and by Day 4, he pooped normally and his nappy rash was completely headled.

No comments:

Post a Comment