Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Breastfeeding Twins - First few days..

Delivery was at HUKM via C-Sect at about 9.10PM and 9.11PM -  http://buzzymummydiary.blogspot.com/2014/09/week-38-c-sect-delivery-at-hukm.html

Okay, my bundle of joy only popped out after 9PM at night and the nurses wheeled me back to the ward after all the 'cooling down' procedures. I only had a glance of my twin son right after the C-Sect. My twin girl was sent away for monitoring due to the drop in her body temperature.

Back at the ward, I asked my Hubby for pictures of the twins. The Nurses just would not let me see them. They only told me to rest and sleep through the night. They would only let me see the twins in the morning and they were definitely not joking about it. I did not really sleep well as I could hear babies crying from the nursery. First thing that popped into my mind was.. could that be my Lil Jas or Lil Jus? I even called for the Nurse and she simply told me that my twins were sleeping very soundly. I gave up asking for them and dozed off.

The next morning, I was asked to tidy up my place. I just had my C-Sect last night and by 9am, I was already expected to go to the toilet on my own, bathe (I did.. :p), tidy up my place and only after that, they allowed me to see my twins.

They wheeled me Lil Jas and Lil Jus.. I was alone at that time as it was not yet the Visiting Hours. Lil Jus was sleeping so peacefully and Lil Jas was looking a little more stressed up. In just a little while, she was already nursing at my breast. She was 2.62kg, so much smaller compared to her big brother, Jen who was 3.65kg at birth.

A little while after that, looked at Lil Jus. He did not wake up. And again, Lil Jas woke up for another round of nursing. And a while more, another round! But Lil Jus did not wake up at all from his 'beauty' sleep. I got worried.

Called for the Nurses. One came and started stroking his feet, even tried to slap him on his feet. He only flinched a little and went back to sleep. Back to Slumberland.. By about 1PM, I called for the Nurse again and they brought Lil Jus to the nursery. Believe they fed him with a little formula by force to prevent dehydration.

We stayed another night at HUKM. It was a government hospital and they sort of lacked manpower. We Mummies at the ward took care of our own babies, twins or not, they were ours right after they were 'released' from the Nursery. That included nursing, changing diapers and clothes and etc.. Lil Jas slept with me on the bed since she was nursing so frequently whereas, sleepy Lil Jus slept soundly in his own cot.

Next morning came and quickly, we 'checked' out of the hospital. I needed more pairs of hands to help take care of the twins. Nonetheless, they did not take anything other than 'Mummy's golden liquid' and it was quite a relief that I managed to pull through the night and day smoothly.

So, yes, first few days, it is definitely possible for twins to survive only by breastfeeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment