Friday, March 30, 2012

Week 27 - 1st Prenatal Check Up at HUKM

On 1st of March, 2012, I went to HUKM Obs & Gyn Unit for registration and to make an appointment with the Referral letter from my Gynae. The Nurses seemed quite helpful and set my appointment on the 15th of March, 2012 at 10am. She gave a form for new registration, told me to fill it up and come back again on the 15th of March for my first appointment. She told to come 30 minutes earlier than the appointment time at 10am so that I would not have to wait for too long for my turn. Usual waiting time can be as long as 3-4 hours and if we are lucky, it can be as short as 1 hour only.

15 Mar 2012 - Went to HUKM for my first appointment with Hubby. After dropping my registration form and waiting for about 30 minutes, I was requested to make payment of RM50 for new registration and given a number. Immediately after that, I sat at the area where they measure the blood pressure and weight. Soon, it was my turn. Blood pressure good.. Weight.. Hmm.. 69.5kg. Then, went for urine check. Had to take our own container from a small window before the toilet, pee in it, bring it to the small window again to be tested. Glucose and protein okay. Washed the container and threw it into a bin for 'Hazardous Biological Waste'.

After that we waited for my turn to do the Ultrasound. Since this is my first time at HUKM, I was asked to do ultrasound. After about 30-45 minutes, finally it was our turn. Hubby entered the room with me. The sonographer kept asking me if I have 1 or 2 placenta and I kept telling her that I am having a boy and a girl. Should obviously be 2 placenta then. Till the end, she was still unsure and had to ask a colleague in to confirm. Laying down flat for the ultrasound was really difficult for me. I was already having cold sweats and gas was building up in my tummy. I just had to let go some gas in the worst manner possible immediately when I stood up. Hubby gave me a weird look (>.<).

Another long wait outside the Doctor's room. Since Hubby was allowed to go in for the ultrasound, we thought that he could also join me in the Doctor's room BUT NO. There were 2 Doctors in the room, each with their own patient. So, for privacy, Hubbies were not allowed into the room. The Doctor seemed pretty young. She asked me a few questions and then examined my belly. Then, requested that I take the Glucose Test and do Detailed Scan. These are so-called standard procedures for twins pregnancy. Glucose Test was scheduled on the 26th of March and Detailed Scan on the 27th of March. I am to see her or her team's Doctor on the 12th of April, 2012.

Overall experience? Not too bad, all staffs are friendly and helpful so far. They are also willing to explain patiently whenever I ask any questions. Just too crowded but.. no reason not to be crowded, it is a government hospital. Why not?...

4 comments:

  1. may i know your doctor name? I plan to go for checkup on this week. I am currently 7 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ops, sorry for the late reply.. Been away lately.. My check up is on every Thursday and the Doctor that you see every week will change as they appoint you to a team of Doctors instead of a particular Doctor. Hope your check up goes well.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. can we arrange for the same doctor?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry.. my late reply. Nope.. not that I know of. They assign based on their duty roster/schedule. Although the doctors are not tied to you, I do believe that they are still quite responsible. Hope this is reassuring enough.

    ReplyDelete