Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Ameda vs Avent, Medela, Ardo and Online Retailers Price Review

Visited the Motherhood 2012 expo at KLCC last weekend. Interestingly, Avent ISIS Duo was selling at RM1499 with free gifts i.e Avent's Children Meal set and etc.. I really liked my Avent UNO Pump and so, since I am having twins, naturally, I will want to have the electric double pump from Avent. I got the green light from Hubby and went to the booth again, this time to purchase the set. However, after feeling how heavy the pump was I changed my mind. It was just too heavy for me to carry (I am 6 months pregnant with twins, BTW).


It is just out of my consideration for now since in the long term (I plan to breastfeed my twins for 2 years), I need a double pump which is portable enough for me to carry during weekly business visits and on board flights. With a 5kg pump and a 5kg laptop, I will surely exceed the cabin luggage weight limit, 7kg. 

So, next in mind.. Ardo Calypso. Wonderful pump with great comments. BUT heard from a retailer that this model has been discontinued and almost all the online retailers no longer have any units available. Based on comments, it seems comparable to Medela Freestyle at just half the price. It is also light and even quieter than Medela Freestyle.



Why not Medela Freestyle? Hmm.. considering the fact that it is so expensive and also the problem with the possibility of milk getting into the tubes/pump since it is an open system, not at the moment.



Medela PISA or Pump In Style Advance - No, same reason. Cause it is an open system and equally bulky compared to Avent ISIS Duo, maybe only half the total weight but still BULKY for me.


Too bad.. so now, next... AMEDA LACTALINE DUAL. Closed system, weight is great, price is right! Breastfeeding twins even for only 6 months can easily return the cash I invest in the pump. PERFECT BUT, fussy Mummy here is not too in favour of the design. Turning the dials/knobs on the pump seems too technical although this is actually an advantage over Medela cause instead of fixed suction power/frequency. It is totally adjustable. It comes with battery and power adaptors, great for me since I may pump at weird places. Oh.. the knobs/dials make the pump look a little flimsy too but again, this is not a problem since it comes with manual pump as well and warranty is 1 year, just in case it fails me.


After all consideration, still Ameda is best so far. Wish they change the knobs/dial to some kind of button (>.<). 

Looked though the online retailers and found the following: 
  • Little Whiz
  • One Baby World
  • Blessed Mum
  • Little Baby Ville
  • The Baby Loft
  • Enjoy Breastfeed
  • Mom's Little One
  • Fabulous Mom
Prices range from RM750 to RM965 from the above. All except 2 offer free gifts i.e. breastmilk storage bottles, bags, ice packs, etc.. Just got to compare and decide now.  

Since warranty starts from the time of purchase except for 1 (This is a little weird since it is the only one that allows warranty to start from baby's DOB and even weirder is that it is also the only one that will charge RM20 if we request that the pump to be sent to Ameda's service center.. Why?), I shall buy at the very final stage of my pregnancy.. :)


1 comment:

  1. Good blog. You might enjoy this little poem about mothers. http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/12/random-quotation-spot.html

    ReplyDelete